COMMS2 is a hardware abstraction layer providing connectivity among different military communication equipment and networks.
COMMS2 act as a software driver for different CNRs offering reliable, and unreliable communication services over radio networks while supporting a multitude of radio modem devices. A fixed, standardized, well documented socket-like programming interface is exposed towards the client with ability to send and receive messages with corresponding transmission status notifications.
- Increased level of radio network reliability
- Increased level of radio network efficiency
- Maximum level of radio network interconnectivity
- Reduced costs of radio network maintenance and upgrades
- Can integrate different effective lifespan of legacy CNR equipment
- Provide unified communication layer for tactical communications
- Integrate different CNR equipment into common C4I data network
- Offers cross network routing
- Extend effective lifespan of legacy CNR equipment
COMMS2 SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE
COMMS2 is a common communications layers, used by all elements in MIL C4I Battle system. It acts as a software driver for different Combat Network Radios (CNR), offering reliable and unreliable communication services over radio networks and supporting a multitude of radio modem devices. It offers a fixed, standardized, well documented socket-like programming interface, which is open towards the client with ability to send and receive messages with the corresponding transmission status notifications. COMMS2 is a complete hardware abstraction layer, saving software developers from radio specific communication stack implementations. Through device driver plug-ins it supports different legacy ASYNC (serial) radio modems, modern IP radios, and some more exotic communication stacks.